[Solved] Re: [Debian SID] "aptitude upgrade" problem

--- ocl <ocl@arayan.com> wrote:

> > I tried "aptitude install" for a few of them, especially capplets, eog, totem, and
> libgnome2-0,
> > but aptitude tells me that 200+ pakages (mainly gnome-related, but not exclusively as
> pkg-config
> > is among them!) are no longer used and will be removed. Anyone else having this problem? Which
> > package is responsible for this? Is there anything I can do (I am still a beginner when it
> comes
> > to debian system administration, hehe) to try and get to the root of the problem?
>
> I had a similar problem. I decided not to trust aptitude and used
> synaptic instead. That solved it.
>
> I have no idea what is responsible for it, though.

Thanks a lot. Synoptic works great. I guess we just found an aptitude bug :(.

By the way, what does obsolete packages mean in synoptic (could not find anything about it in the
help)? Is it like with aptitude? I preferred aptitude over apt-get because it would remove useless
packages whenever the dependencies of main packages would change. Is this what synoptic means by
obsolete packages?

ib