Re: Grub menu.lst

Le Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 12:36:57AM -0800, Freddy Freeloader ecrit :
> Francois Cerbelle wrote:
> >Except one thing : both kernel certainly dont have support for you
> >root partition filesystem, but the Debian one can find the appropriate
> >module in its initrd. I bet that your kernel doesnt have either an initrd
> >image or the filesystem support ! ;-)
>
> Well, I have another Debian machine with both the 2.4 and the 2.6
> kernels on it.  I compiled the 2.6.9 kernels for both machines and
> included the ext3 file system support in both.  The 2.6.9 kernel in the
> one machine boots fine, this one won't.  I actually supported more file
> systems in the kernel for the machine that doesn't boot than I did in
> the machine that does.

So, it might be the hardware support. You might have the good support
for one of your computers, but not for the other (IDE chipset, SCSI
chipset, ...) Are you sure you compiled all the hardware support for
your second computer ? Is it in module or in the kernel itself ?

In the boot messages before the panic, can you see your hard drives
and their partitions recognized by the kernel ?

Fanfan
--
Il n'y a pas d'amour, il n'y a que des preuves d'amour.
                           [Pierre Reverdy]