Re: gnome-cups-manager setup of DLink DI-704P print server (Sarge) - HELP!

I've solved this problem and am replying to my own post here in
case someone else has the same question.

Two things confused me here: first, when the "queue' field is filled, it
is echoed as "**" (as if it were a password); second, the program
becomes unresponsive for about 20 seconds after the host address is
entered. If I weren't so impatient I probably would not have had any
troubles!

With the above understood, the procedure is straightforward. In Debian
Sarge Gnome,

Applications-Desktop preferences-System tools-Printing.

Double-click New Printer. Enter the root password. The window Add a
Printer appears.

Select Network Printer.
Select UNIX Printer (LPD).
Enter Host: 192.168.0.1   (This is for the DLink DI-704P printer port.)
Enter Queue: lp           (This echoes as ** - don't worry.)
Select Forward.           (Now there is a long wait e.g. 20 s).
Select Manufacturer.      (Canon in my case.)
Select Model.             (BJC-250 in my case.)
Select Apply.

An icon for the new printer should appear in the Printers window.

Now you should be able to print.

In addition to the above, the printer can be set up through the CUPS web
interface which can be accessed with at browser at

http://localhost:631/printers.

Hope this helps someone.

Select Add Printer.
Select Enter connection manually.
Enter the printer URI which for the DLink DI704P is

lpd://192.168.0.1/lp

Under Printer Identification enter the Queue Name

lp

Then under Select Printer Make and Model do just that (in my case Canon
and BJC-250).
Under Choose printer driver do so (in my case gimp-print).

Then press Apply.

The CUPS web interface shows the printer URI as:

Device URI: lpd://192.168.0.1/lp