Re: Fixing boot problems with grub

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 00:24 -0500, William Ballard wrote:
> Whenever Lilo used to mess up with Woody, I'd:
>
> 1) Boot from the Woody CD.
> 2) Mount my existing single Debian partition as /
> 3) Execute a shell
> 4) Make sure /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz-old pointed to the right
> places in /boot.
> 5) Exit the shell.
> 6) Run "make system bootable." which would Lilo it up.
>
> Today I horked my Sarge Grub install, booted from the Sarge CD,
> screwed up my paritions when I tried to do (2) (because creating,
> formatting, and mounting partitions is all connected), verified
> 4) was correct, couldn't figure out how to do 6), and running
> "upgrade-grub" from within a chroot didn't work.
>
> When I entered "partition my disks," formatting my swap part was
> already highlighed.  I picked my big Debian ReiserFS part and told
> it not to format it, but to mount it as /, and clicked Finish.
> D-I told me it was going to make changes to my partition table,
> even though I didn't tell it to change any partitions.  Somehow
> when it was done my swap part was gone.
>
> In Sarge D-I, how can I just mount something as / without changing
> part tables or formatting anything, and run the "make system bootable"
> step to recover from botched grub?
>
> Or how can I do it from within a chroot.  I don't usually keep a second
> install of Debian around to chroot from, so I'd have to chroot from
> the Sarge emergency shell or (less desirably) a Knoppix CD.
>
> For now I just reinstalled the OS.  It takes me 30 minutes with scripts.
> But I looked like a tool having to do that.

Use grub-install. And given the root FS for the chroot, Where you have
"/" and "/boot" properly mounted on "/targ" and "/targ/boot". Without a
chroot.

/targ/sbin/grub-install --root-directory=/targ /dev/hda

Then edit a bare /targ/boot/grub/menu.lst. Reboot.

Or do the same with a Knoppix/Gnoppix/liveCD with grub-install on it.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux