Re: Postmaster verification failure - why?

On Saturday 13 November 2004 11:00, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I'm trying to post to a mailing list I'm subscribed to. The posts bounce
> with this message:
>

> Final-Recipient: rfc822; spamprobe-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Action: failed
> Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host mail.sourceforge.net[66.35.250.206] said:
>     550-Postmaster verification failed while checking <ac@acampbell.org.uk>
>     550-(result of earlier verification reused). 550-Several RFCs state
> that you are required to have a postmaster 550-mailbox for each mail
> domain. This host does not accept mail 550-from domains whose servers
> reject the postmaster address. 550 Sender verify failed
>

> I have put an entry in /etc/aliases and run newaliases:
>
>   postmaster: ac@acampbell.org.uk
>
> This doesn't help, however. What is wrong here?

I expect that the mail server at lists.sourceforge.net is attempting to call
your mailserver with an "envelope to:" address of
postmaster@acampbell.org.uk.  How your mail server responds to this will give
the answer.

You don't say what mailserver you are using at your end.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk