Re: [OT?] recreating lost iPod database

on Fri, 05 Nov 2004 06:08:03PM -0700, Jules Dubois insinuated:
> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:01:36 -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
>
> > i managed to write the blank database that gtkpod was displaying to my
> > iPod -- at least, that's what i think has happened.
>
> What is the output of 'ls -l ~/.gtkpod`?
[...]
> > any ideas on where to go from here?
>
> Is section 5.6, "Restore your iPod" in the gtpod documentation any help?
>
> > i'd really like to recover this data, if at all possible!
>
> I know what you mean.

thanks a lot for your help ... i just ended up restoring the thing, as
i was too impatient to screw around with getting things back the best
way and just wanted my iPod functional again the fastest way.

i tried using ephpod on a windows machine to restore the database, but
when i did, it would prompt me for each mp3 as it was stored in the
iPod filesystem (something like
/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/f00/gtkpod00312.mp3, at least under
linux) and ask me for a name.

from all of this poking around, it looks like the id3 tags of the mp3s
i'm putting on the 'pod are stripped and stored in a database.  when
this database goes, the mp3s themselves appear to have no info, so
the thing is useless.

does anyone know if this is off-base?  i can't find a reasonable
explanation of how the iPod's directory structure and database work,
which is frustrating.  but then, that's what i get for not buying
open-source ... oh well -- it's so pretty! ;)

thanks again,

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++ I've now run my SECOND marathon for AIDS; help sponsor me! ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++