Re: global addressbook

In message <2YBgI-87q-27@gated-at.bofh.it>, Ritesh Raj Sarraf <riteshsarraf@users.sourceforge.net> writes
Dear User,
On my laptop I use Pine and Kmail to check my emails. I'm very happy using
them. I use IMAP so that my emails are centralized and MUA independent.

I was thinking of a similar solution for my addressbook. Is there some
lightweight software which could act as a centralized addressbook repository
and serve these kind of MUA's ?

Global address books tend not to be easily updatable, at least not from typical email clients. Usually they would be centrally administered, with people adding personal contacts to a local address book.

Bearing that in mind, a quick-and-dirty way is a web page of MailTo: entries on something like thttpd if you're not already running a web server. To make it updatable from a web browser, rather than hand-editing the file, you'll need a few perl CGI scripts or equivalent. There may well be something of this sort available.

I've gone for a mixture, with web page/perl access to an LDAP server. I'm not really willing to publish the scripts, as they are still a bit flaky, and only then on Woody as I can't seem to get OpenLDAP to work on Sarge.
--
Joe