Re: apache being hit

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 02:24:37 -0200
Roberto Winter <rhwinter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> This started a few days ago with no apparent reason, my access.log has
> more than a hit per seconf, coming from all sorts of bizarre pages
> that have nothing to do with me... Why is that? Where can I get more
> help? What is going on? I'm desperate here....
>
> If you answer, please send a copy to me, since I am not currently on
> the list.

Do you have the apache module mod_proxy installed, by chance?

I've seen hits on web servers where people were probing for open proxies
before, but with that many hits it looks like they're successfully using
you as a proxy. This is how some of those 'anonymizer' programs work -
by using computers on the internet that they have found to be open
proxies.

Needless to say, if you have mod_proxy enabled, either disable it or
tighten your security. Then be sure to restart apache to make the
changes take affect.

HTH,
Jacob