Re: playing cds

Andrea Vettorello wrote:
On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 09:56:43 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

Sean wrote:

Ok, I have my cd-rom drive conected to my sound card.and normal sound
works but cd's do not.  I am a member of groups audio and disk.  cdcd
doesn't give me any error messages, but nothing plays.  What am I
missing here?  Where should I look for any error messages.
Sean

A few days ago in this list I asked exactly the same question.

I was pretty busy last week. =)

Except that I always could play cd's with OSS.
I switched to Alsa and nobody could answer why I had sound for
everything except no cd: the slider never showed up in alsamixer.

I went back to OSS: all sound and play cd's too.

What kind of  sound card?

With OSS:
debian kernel: ad1848/cs4248 codec driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996

With Alsa:
debian kernel: ALSA device list:
debian kernel:   #0: CS4236 at 0x534, irq 5, dma 1&3

Submitted bug that Alsa does not play CD:
https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=625

Alsamixer does not show the CD-volume slider, neither does gnome-volume-control.

Hugo

Andrea