Re: basic newbie help

Since Knoppix is mentioned quite often in this list and most of the comments are not that positive let me say this: Instead of knoppix you should go for Kanotix ( http://www.kanotix.com ) , which is "the better knoppix" if you want to call it that way. What's better in kanotix is i.e. that it is entirely based on Debian Sid ( while Knoppix usually mixes stuff from different development levels, very bad if you apt-get ) and thus optimized for HD install. I've been using it for quite some time, recently I downgraded the Kanotix install to Sarge. Anyway, never had problems, works just fine, and since it's much easier to install IMHO it could be a good approach to Debian for a newbie!

those who understand binary, and those who don't

Michael Lang
Darmstadt, Germany
ICQ UID: 99641425
MSN UID: langm83@hotmail.com