Re: FAT32 as mount for /home?

On Friday 08 October 2004 13.22, Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:
>  I thought that if I mounted a seperate and small partition as
> the /home directory, as well as using the same partition for storing
> documents and user files from my Windows 2000 Pro (the other side of
> my dual boot system,)  that I could write a batch to backup this small
> partition to another small partition, and have all my data from both
> my systems backed up at once.

The home directory usually fills upp with a lot of clutter like
configuration files etc. I wouldn't want to put my "documents" in the
same directory, rather in a sub directory of the home directory. That way
you separate all the linux stuff from the documents themselves.

BTW, I don't really see how backing up the home directory would be enough,
at least for me. I tend to make lots of changes system wide so that I get
the same settings for root as my ordinary user account, and half the time
it is just easier to make the changes in the existing system wide files
instead of creating new files for my user account. Does anyone else do
the same, or is it just me? I have pretty much given up on keeping track
of all the settings I make, and simply backup the whole root partition. I
mean, what is a couple of gigs these days. :)

Olle