OO freezes at splash screen

All of a sudden my OpenOffice is broken.  It freezes at the splash
screen (sometimes just after when I try to open a file).  'ps aux'
shows

myuser   924  0.0  0.0     0    0 pts/0    Z    15:20   0:00
[getstyle-gnome] <defunct>

in amongst references to /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice.bin

Does that indicate the problem, and if so, what's the fix?

It has been working recently, and I don't remember doing anything to
break it.  I'm on a 'testing' system with OO 1.1.1.

Thanks!

Patrick