Re: USB Mass Storage - Kernel Bug?

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:43:48 +1000, Damien Solley
<dsolley@student.usyd.edu.au> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am having trouble using an external USB 2.0 to IDE converter box with
> recent 2.6 kernels. The box houses a 200GB IDE drive. When I try to
> perform large transfers (eg 500MB files) to the box it aborts after a
> variable proportion of the file/s have been transferred.
>
> The dmesg output calls it a kernel bug... Google is unhelpful, does
> anybody know what this is or where I could go for further assistance.
> All the recent kernels versions that I've tried seem affected, from
> 2.6.4 through to 2.6.9-rc2.
>
> Note that the drive works under Windows 2k/XP. Dmesg output is attached,
> with the most relevant section directly below.

You're using the VIA chipset on 2.6? - apparently there's still some
problems there if that's so. Does the 2.4 kernel have the same
problem? How about inserting a new USB controller that doesn't use the
VIA chipset?

--
Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@gmail.com