Re: Configuring X

maybe somebody already suggested this, but, you can make xdm write
a default config file if you feed it the right option - "xdm --help"
will list the options, I think (and it may not be in the docs...)

I had to do that to get the display to work at all; the default config
file that the Debian install generated had display modes that caused
my monitor to go berserk.  I then compared the config file written by
xdm with the one that the install generated and did a manual sort/merge
to get things working...  I had to do all that from a command prompt
login since I didn't have KDE up.