Tux logo, Nvidia drivers, and framebuffer

I want to have either the Tux logo or a bootsplash screen at boot. I've
found a few pages that explain this, but each time I delve deeper I hit
roadblocks. I've been referred to kernel patches at www.bootsplash.de,
but I have no idea which package I need.

I know I'm missing something here, but have yet to figure out what that
is.

I've got an Nvidia card, with drivers loaded, and running kernels 2.6.7
and 2.6.8 (switching between the two as needed due to ongoing cdrecord
issues).