Re: firewire (IEEE1394) harddrive: how to use?

Stefan O'Rear <stefanor@cox.net> wrote in message news:<2yGOD-qz-19@gated-at.bofh.it>...
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 03:14:19PM -0700, Ryo Furue wrote:
> > Argh.  That sounds plausible.  The page I consulted
> > (http://www.linux1394.org/faq.php#sbp2) didn't tell me that!
> > I'll try it next time I use a *fresh* firewire drive.  (As I said,
> > I've already *corrupted* my drive by reformatting it. :-)
>
> Corrupted? I've never used a FW drive but you should be able to just:
>
> mkdosfs -I /dev/sda

Right.  What I meant was, I "corrupted" the nice, useful DOS filesystem
by reformatting it to the lowly Linux filesystem. :-)  I didn't mean
that I wouldn't be able to restore the drive to the original state,
and I didn't mean to exclude such a restore drive from "fresh" drives.

But, thanks, anyway.  I'll reformat the disk to the DOS filesystem after I'm
done with it and will check if the drive works with Windows.

Ryo