Console bell (beep) lost

Hi all,

After I upgraded the kernel from 2.4.18 SMP to 2.6.7 SMP,
I lost the console bell (beep).  I don't think I changed
anything other than the kernel.  Is it possible that the
lack of the console bell is due to the kernel?  If so,
could someone tell me where to look?

I tried "xset b 100 400", which didn't work.  I searched
Google and Google Groups but didn't find how to fix the
problem.  I've been using first Sun and then Liunx
workstations for more than ten years, but I've never
thought of the possibility of the lack of the console bell
(except when I say "xset b off").

Thank you,
Ryo