Re: Well documented [was Re: nvidia drivers]

> On Tuesday 24 Aug 2004 00:17, Tom Allison wrote:
>
>> I was able to install by doing:
>> apt-get kernel-headers...
>> and then running the NVIDIA package they provide on their website.
>>
>> I don't know, but the kernel-source may be necessary, but I doubt it.  I
>> have it installed, that's why I mention it.
>
> It's all well documented what you have to do.  Once you realise that the
> best
> documentation for knowing how to use packages in Debian is often to be
> found
> in /usr/share/doc/<package-name>, everything becomes straightforward.
> (Thanks to those fine chaps, the Debian developers, for their excellent
> READMEs.)
>
> Install these Debian packages :-
> nvidia-glx                      - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
> nvidia-kernel-common            - NVIDIA binary kernel module common files
> nvidia-kernel-source	- NVIDIA binary kernel module source
>
> Then carefully follow the instructions
> in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-source/README.Debian

This would probably work very well and it certainly looked well designed.
However, it tends to only work for the 2.4 kernel and I'm working with the
2.6 kernel.
I repeatedly was asked to pull in 2.4.x based on dependencies.
So, I decided to take a potentially simpler approach of:

1) installing the kernel I want.
2) installing the headers for same kernel.
3) pulling in the nvidia script from the nvidia website.
4) running same script

voila!