Re: Debian and KDE33

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 10:39:12PM -0700, Jeff Goodwin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The KDE org refers people to you to get an official ruling on when/whether you give your official binaries of KDE 3.3 to them.  Also, I just did a CD install of Debian and found KDE 2.2 on there.  Is a later KDE version ok for Debian (Woody)?
>
> Thanx
> Jeff Goodwin
Hi Jeff,
'Woody' aka the current stable, is the official supported version of
debian -- it is the only one with security updates. Its software does
not change once debian sufficiently tests all of its software thus kde
2.2 was tested enough to be considered 'stable'. Unstable has the most
recent version of kde. As the version in unstable gets sufficient
testing, it goes into testing. After a while, the testing distro becomes
'stable'. This will happen shortly (cross fingers). So, what ever
version of kde in testing, will soon become the version in the next
'stable'.
here is the current kde info from the debian site:
stable: 2.2.25 testing: 3.1.2 unstable: 3.1.2
although my unstable says: 3.2.3, so the site appears to a bit out of date.

BUT there are other choices:
1) use unoffical 'backported' debian software
2) install kde from source (debian or non-debian source)

to backport is when someone takes some software that people may need a
more recent version for their job (like a sysadmin) and compiles the
lastest version with libraries that are compatible with the current
'stable' environment. The stability of the new backport is not known and
so it may or may not disrupt your system.

in regards to KDE 3.3, i'd expect it wont be in the next stable version
of debian. But folks will backport it, so you may want to use that.

HTH
-Kev
--

        (__)