Re: Building 2.6.7 kernel on sarge

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Steve Witt wrote:

I've just installed sarge on an x86 machine and have got it basically working. I selected the 2.4.25 kernel as part of the debian-installer installation. I'm now trying to compile a 2.6.7 kernel using the debian-source-2.6.7 package in sarge using kernel-package -- the normal Debian way of compiling the kernel. I've been compiling kernels for years now, but this is my first experience with 2.6.

The problem I'm having is that I'm getting a bunch of unresolved symbol errors when installing the kernel-image deb file. At first I had a whole bunch of options added to the kernel and I was getting literally hundreds of unresolved symbol errors. I tried compiling a bunch of times changing the kernel configuration, but nothing worked. Finally I ripped just about everything out of the configuration except just basic kernel stuff and almost nothing compiled as modules. This kernel finally compiled and installed OK (with dpkg). So then I added back in some modules that I need and again got a bunch of unresolved symbols when I installed the kernel-image deb file. A list of these is below.

Sorry, ignore this, I found the problem. The module-init-tools package wasn't installed and I didn't realize this had replaced modutils for 2.6 kernels.

I don't know what it is about finally asking a question of the world and then finally figuring it out about 15 minutes later, but it happens.