Re: Obsessed with a clean system

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:27:58 -0500
matt zagrabelny <mzagrabe@d.umn.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 22:04, Tong Sun wrote:
> >
> > Anybody here is as obsessed as I am for a clean
> > system?
> >
> > Looking at the packages I installed, I know there
> > would be lots of them that I will never use. E.g.,
> >
> > kscreensaver ktux xscreensaver kdewallpapers atlantik
> > atlantikdesigner gnome-games gnome-games-data katomic
> > kbackgammon kbattleship kblackbox kdegames
> > kdegames-card-data kenolaba kfouleggs kgoldrunner
> > khangman kjumpingcube klickety kmahjongg kmessedwords
> > kolf konquest kpat ksirtet ksmiletris ksokoban
> > kspaceduel libgdkcardimage0 libkdegames1 libkpathsea3
> > lskat
> >
> > I don't want them, but I have to keep them. This to me
> > is a huge list.
> >
> > I used to remove all files in unwanted rpm packages in
> > RH, leaving only empty shells in the system. Anybody
> > has done similar things in Debian?
> >

> are you sure you *need* them?
>
> if you want to get rid of the packages, you could use "dpkg
> --force-dependency <package-name>" if there is some other packages
> that want to keep those listed above around. dpkg has all sorts of
> different options you can force, see man dpkg.

"dpkg --force-dependency --remove-essential libc6" is an especially fun
one to use to get rid of clutter. :-)

Seriously though, be careful forcing the removal of *anything* unless
you're sure you know what depends on it. (Not that Matt was suggesting
otherwise. Just the voice of experience talking. :-)

Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #46:
Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted before the changes will
take effect. Reboot now? [OK]