Re: restarting network connections

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:18:04AM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 04:09:35PM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
>
> > /etc/init.d/networking restart
> >
> > It really only makes sense to use invoke-rc.d from maintainer scripts.
>
> We had this discussion a while back. Truth is, both work just fine.

Uh, well if for some reason you don't want it to necessarily do what you
want (restart networking) depending on your runlevel configuration, I
guess you could say it works fine.

'/etc/init.d/networking restart' will always restart networking, even if
networking is disabled in your current runlevel.

What you're probably looking for if you don't like spelling it all out
is the 'service' script in sysvconfig.

--
You win again, gravity!