Getting op-* to work with 4-bit colour

I'm having problems getting the OPIE packages (open palm packages, not
one time password) to work on a system that currently can only do 4-bit
colour with its framebuffer.  Running opie-login results in:

  root@icosagon:/etc# opie-login
  Can't drive depth 4
  failed to run /usr/share/opie-login/post-session
  root@icosagon:/etc#

with all the previously white text changed to yellow and the text cursor
disappears until reset is issued at the console.

The system currently uses vga16fb with the 2.4.26-lck1 kernel, even
though I found a patch that adds a new framebuffer driver that has
(according to the author) worked with the video chip that I have (Chips
and Technologies F65545) and supports 8 and 16-bit colour.  I am
currently playing patch the kernel to try to get a kernel that works
with the patch and my video chip (I get a blank screen with the patched
kernel while following the instructions).  I can't use vesafb because
the video chip is VESA 1.2, and vesafb requires VESA 2.0.

I haven't yet been able to find much documentation about configuring
OPIE, and none about the problem that I'm having (although it's possible
that I just haven't tried the right search terms).

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com