Re: Whats with this new Debian installer?

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 09:46:55AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

> In the past week I've done two GUI installs. Both were easier than d-i.

"easier".

> The only thing against GUI installers is the amount of RAM they require.
> However, for new machines that's completely unimportant.

That is not the point. A non-GUI install means that you don't need
to ship with X *just* to install the damn distribution. Using X as a
means to install only increases the level of complexity and this
likelyhood of something going wrong.

With a curses or similar installer, Ok, you don't have clickie
things but big deal. Who cares? They're usable, intuitive and don't
require lots of RAM to install. It just means that you have to use
the keyboard more often.

-- Thomas Adam
--
"Frankly, Mr. Shankly, since you ask. You are a flatulent pain in
the arse." -- Morrissey.