Re: Configuration DB

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 13:02:36 -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 15:09, Tong wrote:
>> Yes, that is my question -- is there any way to avoid those hard and
>> tedious questions, since I've answered them once, and the system should
>> have kept the answer somewhere, or, Debian just forgets those answers
>> right away? then how do you do reconfiguration?
>
> I don't know what you all are on about. Personally, I am on the same
> "install" of Debian since I first installed it on my primary home
> machine (and work for that matter)
>
> I have transferred these installs from machine to machine to machine
> using scp or a cpio pipe through ssh etc...
>
> It just works. I make the changes needed and voila.
>
> This particular build, has gone from a
>
> Pentium-166MHz to a
> PentiumPro-180MHz to a
> PentiumMMX-233MHz to a
> PentiumII-300MHz to an
> Athlon T-Bird 900MHz to an
> Athlon T-Bird 1400MHz to an
> Athlon XP1900+ to an
> Athlon XP2500+ to an
> Athlon XP2800+... where I am currently using it.
>
> Each machine had a different Motherboard, NIC, Video Card, Disk (the
> PP180 had SCSI everything) systems etc...

Hi, Greg:

Seems to me you a guy who doesn't mind rolling up sleeves and doing the
dirty work (those different systems need a hell time to configure,
right?). I'm not. I'm just too lazy.

My side of the story,

Tired of making choices during installing and configuration, started
from RedHat 7.2 (till RH9), I build a installation disk of my own, using
RedHat kickstart. All the tools I want are in, while all those I don't are
thrown out. Official RH release is 3 disks, mine is just one, and the
package are kept being updated (by apt-get of cause). So far it is almost
the same as you cpio solutions, but read on.

Whenever there is anything wrong with my current system, (my current
situation is the best example -- leaving the box on for months and all of
the sudden the mouse under X doesn't works), with my old RH
system, I don't care what I did during those months and trying to figure
out why. Just pop in my dear installation CD and 10 minutes later, I
get a fresh system as good as new, and everything to my taste. FYI, I've
been spending 4 days already, trying all sorts of things, but nothing
works -- because I don't know how I can achieve this in debian, yet.

Now the best part. How much time do you think I will spend
on installing and configuration in different systems like you just
mentioned? Still, 10 minutes each. RH HW detect set everything for me
almost automatically. Now think back, for all the different systems you
have, how much time did you spend on configuration? ;-)

I'm just lazy. The last thing I want to do is to do things again. I spent
weeks working on my installation disk and keep updating it, but I hadn't
had much chances to enjoy it. Ah, you now know that I'm also stupid. :-)
'cause the payoff is just minimum. :-) Yet I have a dream that I can do
this in Debian, and am still attempting...