alsa, kernel 2.6.7, Creative Labs SB Audigy

I've been using alsa with medium success for the last year or so, some
apps would work, some wouldn't, but it didn't bother me since some
would be able to do the job. But now, (after the last upgrade?)
nothing works fine. Alsaplayer gives a chopped jumpy sound, and so
on. Is there any way of resetting all to a working condition, even if
primitive? For the first time alsamixer settings were recovered while
booting (I rebooted hoping it would fix it, it didn't). I tried all
the indications from
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Creative+Labs&card=Soundblaster+Audigy+Platinum&chip=Audigy&module=emu10k1

My system:
tony@hpd:~$ qiv -m -s -d 3 fotos/sony/5-aug-2004/*
tony@hpd:~$ lspci -vs 02:0b.0
0000:02:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03)        Subsystem: Creative Labs: Unknown device 005b
        I/O ports at b400 [size=32]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

tony@hpd:~$ uname -a
Linux hpd.the-sphere.org 2.6.7 #1 SMP Mon Jul 12 17:27:32 EDT 2004 i686 GNU/Linux