Re: How popular is Debian (popularity contest)

Jaap Haitsma wrote:

William Ballard wrote:

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:19:54PM +0200, Jaap Haitsma wrote:

Are there only around 1000 debian users on the world (assumption 60% of them sends reports)

Why would you assume that? I don't use popcon; it's possible that 99.9% of users don't use it. Who knows?

Oops, I meant to write 10,000. The worst case is that there are only 6000 Debian users around the globe. So I thought maybe not everybody sends reports. So maybe there are 10,000 users. That seems to me like a very low number. There are around 500M people on the Internet. According to Google stats 1% of them is using Linux. So there are around 5M users of Linux. Then only 10,000 out of these 5M are Debian users!!! That doesn't seem right to me

I suspect that amongst Linux systems Debian features more highly in servers than desktops.

I personally have/look after about a dozen Debian systems. None's entered popcon.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait