Re: [Rant] The Endless Search for a Mail Client That Doesn't Suck

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 06:01, John L Fjellstad wrote:
> Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> writes:
>
> > 6. It must have a decent expiry system.
>
> You don't need a mailclient to have a decent expiry system if you are
> using Maildir.  Since all new mail goes into {MAILBOXNAME}/new and all
> read mail goes into {MAILBOXNAME}/cur, you can use this script to delete
> all read mail over a certain date:
>
> find ~/Mail/*/cur -type f -mtime +30 -print0 | xargs -0r rm
>
> Plug this into your cron and you have a decent expiry system. (It's
> basically what I have done).

Why not just use an IMAP server that has one? Modify settings to taste.

I use courier-imap-ssl, I haven't seen a problem yet. I even have a
couple of folders with 15K+ messages and one with 23K+ messages. I also
have 34 folders, 15 the have sub-folders from there, one sub-folder with
12 sub-folders in it.

Not a problem yet.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net