Re: libpng security vulnerability: lots of apps that display pngs don't use libpng

Hello!

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 08:31:41AM -0700, William Ballard wrote:
> Saw the buffer overrun exploit in libpng in the news today.
>
> I guess .so files in Linux are like .dll files in Windows, every app
> which displays pngs will be "fixed" by the recently updated libpng*
> packages which fix the bug?

Almost. Every app that uses the libpng libraries by dynamically
linking to them will be fixed when the library is updated, but
programs which incorporated some of the code into their own codebase
will have to be fixed separately, as for example Mozilla, see
<http://bugs.debian.org/263612>.

Cheers,
Flo