Re: flash and mozilla (and firefox and epiphany)

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 02:49:24PM -0700, Paul Yeatman wrote:
> Hi, I tried taking "-terminate" out of my esd.conf.  I logged out and
> back in.  Indeed esd was started by Gnome (as I have sound for Gnome
> enabled) and without the "-terminate" argument but Flash would not play
> correctly in a browser until I killed the esd process.

Have you tried
    $ esdctl off
?  That should have the effect of making esd "shut up", and free up
/dev/dsp (might still need -as on esdctl though

    $ esdctl on
should "unmute" esd again...

> Once I killed
> the process, I could play Flash and applications like xmms would start
> their own esd process for sound but system/event sounds (from Gnome
> and such) could no longer be heard.

Because you killed the original esd, which the gnome panel (and others)
were connected to...

HTH
--
Karl E. Jørgensen