Using Kmail along with a deamon

I have fetchmail working -- relatively painless -- and this services my pop
accounts, placing them on a /var/mail/... box. Kmail can easily retrieve
these from any login I choose. I of course need to configure the smtp to send
from desired logins, easy enough.

Now ... I would like to be able to use my addressbook and my favorites from
different logins. How do I do this. (My open-ldap is not working and Kmail
does not really work seemlessly with that in any event.) Once I can get that
working, I can get off "root" except when that is what I need!