(1) intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 49260 usecs
    intel8x0: clocking to 48000
    ALSA device list:
    #0: Virtual MIDI Card 1
    #1: Intel 82801BA-ICH2 at 0xa800, irq 17
(2) 0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM
      AC'97 Audio (rev 04)
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 8095
    I/O ports at a800 [size=256]
    I/O ports at a400 [size=64]

At this point, I'm getting out of ideas. Kernel version is 2.6.7. I'd
say I've done something wrong compiling it with alsa support, but that
can't be it, since it has been functioning for quite some time now, and
just suddenly refused to continue to do so.

Could anybody please help me find out what's wrong here...?

Greets,
Tom