Re: Resize partitions urgent help

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 16:45, Vijaya S wrote:
> thanks a lot ,
> But my main problem is i havent used parted anytime
> And moreover /debian is important i will take a backup of it how do i use
> parted to do that?
> Regards,
> Vijaya

Parted is very simple to use, and can tell you its commands with the help
command.  It can copy partitions, but /debian is 19G so where are you going
to back it up to?  If you can do that, the you could easily grow things.

The best thing to do is load the stand alone version of the gnu web site,
which should be here

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html

although it s timing out at the moment so I can check

You must not be accessing the filesystems with anything else whilst it is
working.  I think you can shrink your /dev/hda8 partition and then grow
the /dev/hda7 parttion with the RESIZE command.  Check the man page for what
filesystems it will do this with.

In future take a look at LVM.  This allows much easier growing, shrinking and
even extending over multiple devices a partition.  As hinted at by others in
this thread reiserfs is a good filesystem to use.  I like to use reiserfs
because it allows you to grow filesystems (assuming you have already made the
partition bigger - with lvm that is a simple lvextend command) without
dismounting it.  You can shrink them too - but only when dismounted.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk