Re: sql-ledger and postgresql: HOWTO?

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 18:09, bob parker wrote:
> > > Any chance that you will package it?  Or let someone else do so?  I'm not
> > > pleased with sql-ledger either, but I like the alternatives even less.
> >
> > Once it is written, yes.  If you would like to list features you would
> > like to see, that could be helpful.  There really needs to be a good
> > free accounting package, but it has to cope with all kinds of things to
> > be a good internationalised package, and I probably haven't even
> > imagined some of them.

> Are we talking about a web page interface here? Say Pg + Php?
> If so I have the beginnings of a payroll module I could contribute.
> It's built to ato rules of PAYE for dotAU but maybe there's enough in common
> to suit other places.

I'm not all that keen on web interfaces; as far as I can see, from my
limited and reluctant experience of writing them, the programming
languages are poor and debugging is a nightmare.  I was thinking on the
lines of glade + Python or Eiffel.  However the underlying database
structure should be the same, and I would insist on putting all the
consistency rules into the database (triggers, foreign keys, etc.) so
you could possibly have two different interfaces to the same database.

     "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it
      does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is
      not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps
      no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but
      rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always
      trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
                                I Corinthians 13:4-7