Re: I hate it when that happens...

On Monday 02 August 2004 01:39 am, Juha Siltala wrote:

> "Crap HTML" you say -- is the HTML OO.o produces as bad as the Word
> generated code? I guess you can tidy it afterwards anyway if need be.

It has a lot of superfluous crap.  Hand-written code is much cleaner, and does
the same job.  However, HTMLDOC gets rid of a lot of the crap in the process
of working its magic anyway, and then introduces some crap of its own.

I don't really care.  I'm not getting graded on how good my HTML looks.  The
stuff on-screen and on paper looks great, and that's what matters.  I could
use something like Quanta or hand-code everything in vim, but I've got 143
pixmaps and counting (soon to be at least double that) and I have enough to
deal with without worrying about the details of the markup language I'm
using.

> Yes, it is possible to use word processors _right_. I know a couple of
> really clueful MS Word users who have developed a habit for using styles.
> Armed with Word (and lots of Word knowledge) and Endnote for a
> bibliography database, they actually seem to work pretty much the same way
> as I do with LyX and Pybliographer.

FWIW, I'm teaching Mom how to use a computer for the first time ever.
Teaching her how to use OO, and teaching her the value of styles from day
one.  :)

She's running Debian, of course, and getting along pretty well.  She loooooves
the GIMP.  I bought her one of those Wacom pencil tablet flummies, and she's
having a blast.

> The OO.o file format is not as bad as Word either. You will be able to
> read your OO.o documents in the future even if OO.o goes under.

Not only that, but the code for reading it and doing something with it is
readily obtainable too.  :)

It's a far cry from human-readable though.  Ever looked at one?  It's
compressed XML, but there are five hundred trillion tags in the simplest
file.  It's more than vim can handle, and there's not much you can do to
hand-edit that enormous mess.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/