System boots with Root FS Read only

Hi
My system boots, but the root partion is read only on boot up.
I can mount -o remount,rw / to make it rw again, however only root can
login and all other users are told that 'System boot up in progress -
please wait'. This started when I made hda in my machine, which had win
XP on it an ext3 filesystem and mounted it under var after copying the
contents of var accross to it.

e2fsck finds no problems with my ext3 file system, however if I type
mount, it tells me that / is of unknown type, instead of ext3. If I look
at the disk with fdisk or parted, I'm told there are NO partitions on
the disk, however cfdisk can see the correct partions.

I'm guessing the two problems are related, either way - how should I
best set about solving either of them.

I'm guessing I've hosed something, but is there something I can do about
either problem, other than setting up from scratch?

Glenn