Re: I hate it when that happens...

Silvan wrote:

I've been trying to figure out why, why, why my /var partition was filling up. Not logs, not the package cache, not this, not that, not the other.

Then it hit me. I've been downloading random things to look at to /tmp for months since the last reboot. Source for Open Office, kdelibs, kdebase, the kitchen sink and my bathtub too. I had four gigabytes of accumulated cruft that I was just more or less waiting on the next reboot to get rid of for me.
tmp -> /var/tmp

Duh.

I put /tmp on /var because /var is a separate partition, and I wanted all the usual over-flowable stuff contained somewhere off /.

Anyone know where I can buy a bigger hard disk for my brain? This one is getting bad sectors, I think.

I got one:
How about running Debian for TWO YEARS without knowing about apt-get clean?
Yep...that's me. :(
I freed about 11G of /dev/hda; it was quite exciting at the time. :-p