Re: Package to delete pre-incoming mail?

Dave Hathaway(davehathaway@yahoo.com) is reported to have said:
> I am getting hammered on one email account with viruses/worms.  Not
> such a big deal at home, because I can run popfile and read my mail.
> But I access my mail via a webmail interface when at the office, and
> it is annoying to keep finding 100 "Check this out kid!!!!" emails
> stuffing my box.
>
> What I'd like is an application to read my POP3 mail and to
> download/forward suspicious mails to a different account so that my
> main inbox is mostly clear.  There are only 3 or 4 subjects that are
> very prevalent, and if the application could just check for those and
> let me add new subjects in the future, life would be wonderful.
>
> Is there an application that will sniff my inbox for me?

Kinda,

apt-cache show mailfilter
 Mailfilter is very flexible utility for UNIX (-like) operating systems to get
 rid of unwanted e-mail messages, before having to go through the trouble of
 downloading them to the local computer. It offers support for one or many
 POP3 accounts and is especially useful for dialup connections via modem,
 ISDN, etc. Install Mailfilter if you'd like to remove spam from your POP3 mail
 accounts.
 .
 With Mailfilter you can define your own filters (rules) to determine
 which e-mails should be delivered and which are considered waste. Rules
 are Regular Expressions, so you can make use of familiar options from
 other mail delivery programs such as e.g. procmail.
 .
 If you do not get your mail from a POP3-Server you don't need Mailfilter.

Prior to installing mailfilter I was downloading hundreds of
spam/viruses/worms per day.  After fine tuning the rc file I now
download 3-4 a day (which help me fine tune even more).  I see no
reason to download them from the pop server and put that trash into
another mail box.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)
wt

--