Re: alternatives to NIS and NFS

On Monday 02 August 2004 04:24 pm, Paul William wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in charge of a small office network. The server is running Debian
> stable with some testing packages and the desktops are running mandrake
> 10.0.
>
> Currently we are using NIS for authentication and NFS to share the home
> directories.
>
> I have been having some hassles with NIS and would like to upgrade to a
> more modern system.
>
> Are there any alternatives to NFS and NIS?
>
> As long as it not to complex to setup and is fairly easy to administer
> its fine. X is not on the server so all admin takes place over
> ssh.Security is an issue.
>
> It is safe to assume that there will not be any windows clients on the
> network, ever :) There is one osx ibook being used but it does not need
> to 'login' to the network.
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Paul

Paul,

I have a ldap based authentication system and still use NFS for sharing /home.

I used http://people.debian.org/~torsten/ldapnss.html to guide me through the
setup.  I then use cpu (in Debian) to do the passwd and user account
creation.  Everything I needed was packaged in Debian.

There are some ldap utilities that will convert an exisitng /etc/passwd to
what is needed for ldap.  I didn't have many users and found it easier to
just use cpu to add my users and passwords.

John