Re: Security camera management software

Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> writes:

>> Having used security cameras as part of my job, I can safely say that
>> every digital camera system blows balls.  If you want usable footage,
>> go analog for this project.  Whoever has to look at the footage for
>> some minute detail will thank you for it.
>
> What about using analog cameras through a capture card?  Would that be
> good enough quality?

No.  Needs to be all-analog.  Analog to digital conversion adds an
irreversible pixelation.  At least with an all-analog system, if you see
someone you want to get a better look at, you can go back to your analog
source and digitally zoom in and sharpen it at whatever resolution you
find appropriate instead of whatever the camera system happens to be.
With a digital system, you can't do that at all.  See someone you want
to get a better look at?  Well, too bad, your digital camera has already
given them that wonderful, pixelated-suspect-on-COPS look.

> Also, what kind of minute detail are you talking about?  I'm sure he'd
> like to be able to recognize faces, but I'm not sure he'd need more
> detail than that.

Then the digital answer will cost more and not deliver for this person.