Re: ALSA setup problem

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 12:12:44 -0600
Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to get sound working under Sarge using ALSA. I'm confident
> that my cables, speakers, etc. are working because I get sound from
> Knoppix. I've found some instructions at the alsa web site which seem
> to include consideration of details specific to Debian. My sound card
> is CM8738. My kernel-image is 2.4.26-1-686. I have installed the
> alsa-modules-2.4.26-1-686. I have run alsaconf, and it found my sound
> card and seemed to configure it. Much of what is in the instructions
> from alsa web site seem already to have been done by debian install
> scripts.  But, I tried reexecuting update-modules even though all the
> recommended lines were already in /etc/modutils/ and I got:
>
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> /lib/modules/2.4.26-1-686/alsa/snd-pdaudiocf.o depmod: *** Unresolved
> symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.26-1-686/alsa/snd-vx-cs.o
>
> This looks bad to me. Is it? What do I do about it?

It's only bad if you need that module.  For a CM8738, I wouldn't think
you do.  So I think you're OK.

Getting soundcards to work under ALSA is *usually* a three-step
process:  1.  does the kernel see the soundcard OK (what does lspci
-vv say about the soundcard)?  2.  do you have the right modules
installed (what does lsmod say)?  3.  have you unmuted everything
you need to in alsamixer (are Master, PCM, and CD unmuted), and are
the relevant sliders (Master, PCM, CD and Wave) turned up to
reasonable values?  You haven't given us enough information yet.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)