Re: intel PIIXn SATA on 2.6.7 kernel

I have it working here. Just compile the kernel again with PIIX and all necessary stuffs for the root partition build in. 2.6 kernerl does not handle the modules well during booting.

Regards
Clement

Justinas wrote:

hello list!

Does anybody have intel PIIXn SATA running properly on debian with 2.6.7 kernel? I have IBM xSeries eServer 206 with such device. I installed sarge, witch has a 2.4 kernel. I have updated module-init-tools. With 2.4 it works, but SATA device is as a primary slave device (/dev/hdc). I took Suse Live CD 9.1(one that boots all OS from cd) witch runs on 2.6.5 kernel, and looked at dmesg. There I found that my SATA device is scsi on /dev/sda. I took a kernel config file from /boot and did: make oldconfig, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install. Configured lilo.conf(also ran lilo). But my new kernel cant find boot system. I have taken into account fact that my boot device have changed to /dev/sda. But when i boot my new 2.6.7 kernel i got a sweet kernel panic error, which announces me about cute VFS error. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!