Re: dselect alternatives

> From: Steven Satelle [mailto:ssatelle@hotpop.com]
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:57:43 +0000, ricktaylor wrote:
> >  Personally, I'd use kpackage or synaptic in X and dselect in a terminal
> >  {mainly because synaptic and kpackage are easier to read... the
>
> I've always found that unless I stick to one package manager - synaptic at
> the moment, they resolve deps differently so while running synaptic
> says everything is ok, aptitude says there are unresolved deps, so it
> decides I need to remove a bunch of packages, I remember once, dselect
> decided I needed to remove nearly the whole damm system, and since I
> wasnt actually watching what it was saying I said ok. I've used aptitude
> for a while but I prefer synaptic's search capabilities. The only thing
> wrong with it is by default I like to view my packages grouped by section,
> which I need to set up manually

 I don't think I've ever had that happen. If I have a problem I usually switch to dselect. I just feel like I have more control.

Synaptic on Redhat has a menu entry for the above... I've not used Debian since last year some time... I don't know what the differences between versions of Synaptic are.

 I am going to set up the AMD64 thing real soon... :}