Re: Postfix from source: changing the MTA

> $ apt-cache show equivs
> Package: equivs
> Section: admin
> Installed-Size: 51
> Maintainer: Martin Bialasinski <martinb@debian.org>
> Architecture: all
> Version: 2.0.4
> Depends: perl|perl5, debhelper, dpkg-dev, devscripts, make, fakeroot
> Filename: pool/main/e/equivs/equivs_2.0.4_all.deb
> Size: 18178
> MD5sum: 835d97f567fe0cf36700ebf012082993
>   This is a dummy package which can be used to create Debian
>   packages, which only contain dependency information.
>   .
>   This way, you can make the Debian package management
>   system believe that equivalents to packages on which other
>   packages do depend on are actually installed.
>   .
>   Another possibility is creation of a meta package. When this
>   package contains a dependency as "Depends: a, b, c", then
>   installing this package will also select packages a, b and c.
>   Instead of "Depends", you can also use "Recommends:" or
>   "Suggests:" for less demanding dependency.
>   .
>   Please note that this is a crude hack and if thoughtlessly used
>   might possibly do damage to your packaging system. And please
>   note as well that using it is not the recommended way of dealing
>   with broken dependencies. Better file a bug report instead.

I tried equivs once to build dummy packages for java but gave up.
Anyway, alternatively, one could use checkinstall to build a deb. That's
what i did when i compiled Python 2.3.4 & wxWindows 2.4.2.4 from source.
I could have gone the long way and read the Developer thingie but i'm to
busy with other stuff to bother. I will read it in the future.

Regards,
Benedict