Re: ACPI and VIA C3

On Saturday 26 June 2004 18:37, Ludwig Meyerhoff wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> I have a VIA C3 (Ezra) processor. It is very nice for "normal"
> applications, as it takes only a few watt.
>
> I have a problem with the ACPI support of the kernel ...
> While 2.4.20 recognizes the processor to support C1 and C2 states, the
> 2.4.26 does not, as the 2.6.6 does not also.
>
> AFAIK the ACPI support has been rewritten for the 2.6 kernel and
> backported to 2.4 in 2.4.23 or something ...
>
> Now: does anyone know how I can achieve full ACPI support for my
> processor in a more recent kernel than 2.4.20? In special I would like
> to use frequency scaling/throttling, as most of the time my small
> computer does nothing.
>

> Saluti!
>
> Ludwig

You might want to check wether the newer code regards the ACPI
BIOS as being too old.  I have various machine which disable ACPI
support because of old BIOS, but on all of them acpi=force as a
kernel option turns it back on with no obvious bad side effects.

However this should be obvious by reading /var/log/dmesg,
quite early on there should be a message saying that this is
necessary.

David