usb errors when attaching device

Yesterday the Intel USB 802.11b Wireless adapter (model WUD2011BWW) I
bought on ebay arrived.  First I downloaded win2k drivers and tested
it on a borrowed windows laptop.  The device works fine and connects
to my AP fine.  Then I plugged it into my debian machine.  The console
and /var/log/kern.log report the following :
    Jun 26 11:33:44 dman13 kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using address 2
    Jun 26 11:33:44 dman13 kernel: usb 1-2: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 1 but max is 0
    Jun 26 11:33:44 dman13 kernel: usb 1-2: can't read configurations, error -22
    Jun 26 11:33:44 dman13 kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using address 3
    Jun 26 11:33:44 dman13 kernel: usb 1-2: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 1 but max is 0
    Jun 26 11:33:44 dman13 kernel: usb 1-2: can't read configurations, error -22

I get the same problem with debian on the borrowed laptop.  I don't
think it is a hardware problem because the device works in the laptop
with win2k but not on the same laptop with debian.

Both of these debian systems are running kernel 2.6.6 (one is 686 and
the other k7).

Is anyone familiar with this issue?

TIA,
-D