Re: Debian

Pablo Cebrian Piazuelo wrote:

Please, I have installed Debian 30r2-i386 succesfully. But, when I get into the shell and I want to change to Xwindows, a message appears saying that I have Screens detected, but any can be used. So I can't get into the Xwindows. It seems to detect my GraficCard, and I think that it detects the screen too. but says that this one can't be used.
I have done dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, but it don't helps me a lot.
please contact me, and help me with this installation.

What you're describing sounds like X can't find a usable combination of color depth, resolution, and scan rates that work with your combination of video card and monitor.

However, that's a very broad range of possibilities. Before we can help further, we'll need more information. I would suggest posting the details of your video card (what model, how much RAM, what does "lspci" report it as) and your monitor (what scan rates does the manual say it accepts; how big a monitor is it?), and more importantly, place the contents of /var/log/XFree86.0.log up on a web server somewhere and post a link to that site.

You say you've run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86", but you don't say what changes you've made. I would suggest dropping the video resolution, dropping the color depth, and or changing the video driver to "vesa" until you get something working, and then work back up from there.

--
Kent