Re: matlab on debian

   *   /User-agent/: Gnus/5.1006 (Gnus v5.10.6) Emacs/21.3 (gnu/linux)

Thank you very much! Finally it is running. sysvinit was not installed and therefor no /dev/ptmx.
INstalling sysvinit (version 2.85-20 ) and running 'invoke-rc.d mountvirtfs start ' solved the problem!
Thank you very much for your help and thanks also to Martin for help along the way,
miriam

* (fend@ifi.unizh.ch)[20040604 05:48]:
Hi

I have finally installed debian instead of the former
redhat. Unfortunately, matlab runs only partly now. I can't use linux
commands and copy and paste don't work either. I am running kernel
2.6.5 and KDE 3.2. Pts should be switched on.

What kernel did you have this running successfully with in
redhat?

This is the error message I get:

??? MATLAB was unable to open a pseudo-tty: No such file or directory [2,1]
The unix() and ! commands will not work in this MATLAB session.  Other
commands which depend upon unix() and ! will also fail.  Your system may
be running low on resources.  If the problem persists after a reboot,
check with your system administrator and confirm that your pty subsystem
is properly configured.

Do you have a /dev/ptmx ?  Is your system running udev?  Is
devpts mounted on /dev/pts?

good times,
Vineet

Miriam Fend, PhD student		      Tel + 41 - 1 - 635 45 80
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory            Fax + 41 - 1 - 635 45 07
Department of Computer Science, Room 2.16     fend@ifi.unizh.ch
University of Zurich
Andreasstrasse 15
CH - 8050 Zurich, Switzerland