Re: Mozilla thunderbird crashes when opening attachments

On 06/08/04 22:50, Mal Beaton wrote:
    apt-cache show mozilla-thunderbird
Package: mozilla-thunderbird
Section: mail
Installed-Size: 31944
Maintainer: Alexander Sack <asac@jwsdot.com>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.6-2

When trying to open attachments mozilla-thunderbird closes. The
attachements do not open

In Tools > Options > Attachments
the area
File Types
Automatically perform the associated action with each of the following
file types

is empty and there is no way to add an action

in mozilla-firefox it defaults to the kde file open dialog

I am using debian unstable + kde 3.2.2

can anyone point me in the right direction

I'm using debian unstable + parts of gnome 2.4

I believe the Tools > Options > Attachments "dialog" you describe is only functional for changing actions. Set the desired action with the "open" dialog.

To open attachments, right click on the attachment filename in the message window;
or the pull-down menu: file -> attachments -> [file name] -> open / save as

I like: Right click -> open/ save as/ save all ->
open -> "You have chosen to open [filename] from: [mailbox filename]
which is a: [pdf, Microsoft Word, etc] document"

"What should Thunderbird do with this file?"
-> open with (pull down showing default, or choose other)
-> save to disk
-> Check box "Do this automatically for files like this from now on."

This is where I set defaults.

As for the application closing when you attempt this, there is a mozilla bug that crashes apps when a corrupted bitmap image is opened. Have you looked at the bug reports?
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=mozilla-thunderbird

Regards,
Ralph