Re: charset of ext3 drives

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:56:54 +0200
"J. Preiss" <auba@af-i.de> wrote:

> Seems that I found a bit more infos on my system: I cannot enter
> cyrillic chars neither in konqi nor in kate. So I installed
> xfree-cyrillic (a really good idea, but I bet I selected this by first
> install... anyway).

I guess you mean xfonts-cyrillic? Did you check if those fonts are
really available to X and KDE via xfontsel and some KDE font selector?
Did you make sure both applications are set tu use proper fonts? At
least Kate does not use standard font setups.

By the way, there is a package "console-cyrillic" that you probably
already installed, but it seems important if you ever need to do some
work on a console...

> But if it is a problem of the fonts... why can juk display the song
> infos correctly????

I guess that if JuK pulls info not from the filename but from the file
tags, it's using the proper encoding. IIRC, OGG explicitly specifies
UTF8 as encoding; I don't know how MP3 handles things, but I guess it
would be a good idea to try Windows charsets.

> The FS is the last thing I dont understand: if the file name is a
> double wide charset, how can the file name be stored without loosing
> information? Do you know what I mean?

I don't really know what you mean, but I think you need to know a bit
about the UTF8 encoding. It is not exactly "double-wide", that's what
UTF16 is (each character is encoded as a 16bit value). UTF8 encodes the
low-ASCII and some more characters the usual way, as 8bit values. Then,
there are certain "escape" characters that start the encoding of a
"longer" character that can be 2, 3 or 4 bytes wide. The effect is that
control characters are untouched and a great lot of text can be used
without modification. There's a great lot of information about that at
www.unicode.org.

--
Got Backup?

Jabber: Shadowdancer at jabber.fsinf.de